Monday to Friday:  8:00 am to 4:15 pm

CLOSED for Lunch:   12:30 pm to 1:30 pm

Please Note:  You will be required to provide acceptable & sufficient identification for any service.   

Phone: (780) 333-4477 ext 8  Fax: (780) 333-4547

Book a Road Test:

There is no driver examiner for Swan Hills. 

Driver guides can be found at:


Reminder Service for licence & vehicle registration:


  • Driver’s Licence Referral Link


  • Identification Card Referral Link


Visit for more Registry Services. 


Alberta Organ and Tissue Donation Registry

Register to be an Organ and Tissue Donor

For more information please visit or call 


We offer the following

vehicle registration & renewals, licence plates, driver licence & I.D.. exchange licence from outside Alberta, knowledge / learners test for all classes

vehicle information reports, driving absracts, in-transit permits, vital statistics services

Alberta Organ and Tissue Donation Registry services

fine payments 


Commonly Asked Questions

What do I need to register my vehicle?
To register a vehicle you will require proof of ownership (such as a bill of sale, lease agreement), proof of valid insurance and two pieces of identification. You are also strongly encouraged to record your odometer reading at the time of registration. If the vehicle is new you will also require a new vehicle information statement (NVIS), or if the vehicle was imported into Canada, you will require a Vehicle Import Form from Transport Canada. Used vehicles previously registered outside Alberta require a out of province safety inspection before it can be registered in Alberta.

What do I need to renew my driver's license and vehicle registration?
Simply present your existing photo license and / or registration along with your insurance to a registry agent and pay the required fee. If a non-photo license is presented, two other forms of identification are required.

Do I need a medical report to renew my driver's license?
A medical report is required when applying for or renewing a class 1, 2 or 4 license. In addition, if you have a condition code C (periodic satisfactory medical report) or code D (periodic vision report) on your license, or if you have a medical condition that may affect your driving ability, you must submit a medical report. If you are 75 years of age or older you will be required to submit a medical report and provide a vision screening.

My children are not residents of Alberta but are attending school full time in Alberta. Do they have to register their vehicles and change their operator licenses in Alberta?
No. Provided they are full time students and the vehicle is registered in their home jurisdiction in their name.

At what age can a person obtain a learner's license?
In Alberta, an individual must be at least 14 years of age to apply for a learner's license with parental consent if under 18. Parental Consent must be presented before the service can begin.

For more Information or relevant forms please visit

Pay your traffice fine: 

In order to pay your traffic fines you will need:

  • A Part 3 violation ticket (yellow). Note: If the ticket is overdue, any late charges will be added to the original fine amount. If you do not pay the full overdue amount, your motor vehicle services will remain restricted.
  • Cash or Debit Card

A service fee will apply for all fine payments at a registry agent office and to fines paid online. Internet payments may take up to 72 hours to be processed, motor vehicle services restrictions will remain in place until processed. Payment made at a Alberta Registries Office is processed immediately.

How do I change my last name back to my maiden name?
In normal circumstances, a woman has assumed her husband's surname without a formal legal change of name. In this case the woman may revert back to her true legal name, which her birth certificate will reflect. The wife presents her Certificate of Birth proving her maiden surname that she wishes to use, and the identification is changed. It is suggested that confirmation with each organization be made, as to what they require to make the change. If the marriage took place in British Columbia, Ontario or Quebec, contact that province’s vital statistics department to confirm a legal change of name has not been processed. If the marriage took place outside Canada, check the customs of that country.










©2022 Town of Swan Hills  |  Site by BubbleUP -- Web Design Edmonton.  |  Login  |  Outlook Web Access