Family & Community Support Services
Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) is an 80/20 funding partnership between the province and the municipality. Under FCSS, our community designs and delivers social programs that are preventive in nature to promote and enhance well-being among individuals, families, and communities. The programs depend on our community resources, often involving volunteers in management and delivery.
The FCSS philosophy is based on a belief that self-help contributes to a sense of integrity, self-worth, and independence. The programs developed are intended to help individuals in our community to adopt healthy lifestyles, thereby improving the quality of life and build the capacity to prevent and or deal with crisis situations should they arise.
- To encourage and facilitate cooperation and coordination with allied service agencies operating within the municipality. Thus FCSS is legally obligated to work with others. To promote, encourage and facilitate the involvement of volunteers;
- To promote efficient and effective use of resources;
- To promote, encourage and facilitate the development of stronger communities;
- To promote citizen participation in planning, delivery, and governance of the programs and services provided under the FCSS program.
- Information exchange- for networking and general shared awareness.
- Short-term help- mentoring- FCSS providing practical help, or helping to make connections between individuals and agencies with common interests.
- Planning joint events- FCSS as an initiator or one partner in a community event.
- Planning and carrying out community processes- FCSS as initiator, facilitator or participant to involve many people in identifying and responding to community needs.
- Contracted arrangements for the purpose of providing specific services- FCSS programs can be both contractors of services and contracted service providers.